POWERED BY WATER
One of the real drags about chargers is that you tend to get one, maybe two, and, if you’re lucky, three charges out of a typical charger, and then you’ve got to hie yourself back to the land of electricity to recharge your charger. It’s a very “Who charges the chargers?” sort of scenario.
What if you could get 6 charges before you had to head back to the land of the sockets? Actually, you could theoretically get 3 times many charges as however many Hydrocores you can carry. What’s a Hydrocore? It’s Brunton’s hydrogen fuel cell. Paired with their Hydrogen Reactor, the Hydrocore provides the hydrogen for the reaction and the energy for your device.
For the science-y types:
When you insert a cartridge, a platinum catalyst separates positively-charged hydrogen ions from negatively-charged electrons. The electrons power your device. The hydrogen ions are forced through an electrolyte membrane where they combine with oxygen in the air to become become water vapor.
For the non-science types:
Wait. This isn’t gonna blow up like the Hindenburg, is it?
Nope. Brunton’s Hydrolyzer stores the hydrogen as a more stable hydride so it isn’t volatile.
They Hydrolyzer is the secret to recharging the Hydrocore. With just de-ionized or distilled water (and a little electricity), the Hydrolyzer neatly packs hydride into the fuel cells, awaiting your next use. What’s even better? Unlike lithium-ion batteries, hydrogen fuel cells do not lose charge when they hang out for months not being used. That means this is perfect for your short-term bug out bag. One less thing to check every month.
- Hydrogen Reactor, Hydrogen Core, and H2O Hydrolyzer Charge Station
- Gives your devices the power of fuel-cell technology
- Standard USB out lets you use whatever cable your device requires
- Hydrogen Reactor comes with two Hydrogen Cores (Hydrocore)
- Order extra Hydrogen Cores (Hydrocore) to spend more time away from the socket
- Order the H2O Hydrolyzer Charge Station to recharge the Hydrogen Cores (Brunton says they’re setting up a network of charging stations but until then you’ll need this if you don’t want disposable batteries)
- H2O Hydrolyzer Charge Station can also be solar or wind powered!
- Great for extreme hikers and people who don’t want to rely on the grid
- Perfect for places that have a lot of power outages (fuel cells don’t lose charge when stored)
- Cartridge Capacity: 8,500 mAh (10L hydrogen)
- Reactor Output: USB-out port, 5 volts at either 1 or 2 amps (switchable)
- Cartridge Lifespan: 1000 full cycles (3000 charges of your phone)
- Takes 4 – 5.5 hours to charge a Hydrocore
- Reactor and up to 2 Hydrocores are TSA-approved in your carry-on luggage (although we highly suggest you bring paperwork showing what the Reactor is)
- Dimensions & Weight:
- Hydrogen Reactor – 5.3″ x 2.9″ x 1.3″, 5 oz. (without Hydrocore)
- Hydrogen Core (Hydrocore) – 7/8″ diameter x 3.5″ long, 3.4 oz.
- H2O Hydrolyzer Charge Station – 5.7″ x 6″ x 8.2″, 4 lbs.